When I wrote my first Christian Stage Play back in 2002, I never dreamed it would become so lucrative I could leave my 9-5 job and go into full time writing ministry. I am not saying it was easy, because it wasn’t. All I am saying is that its possible and I was neither the first, nor the last to succeed as a Christian Playwright.
I live in Jamaica and the market for Christian Plays is next to 0. On a global scale, however, I was surprised to learn that there was an increasing demand for well written and anointed plays, especially for the African American Society, and today I can report that the demand is far greater than the supply.
What I have found over the years is that there are many other writers like me who write really good plays. The thing is that they produce it once and then the script becomes history. I have had numerous emails over the years asking how they can publish their work and when I respond, it would appear that its way too much work for them to even try. This article is for those who are willing to give it a shot. I know of one writer who has written only one play in his entire life and has made a living off just that one. So imagine if you can or have written more than one.
Online marketing can be challenging but the rules apply straight across the board for just about anything. I will outline the necessary steps to take if you are a Christian Playwright and success is your goal.
1. Write the play. I still have many ideas that never made it to the paper and some that I started and only wrote a scene or two. Finishing a script takes discipline and commitment. Obviously this is a necessary and the most important step to take on this venture.
2. Find someone who can edit your script to minimize grammatical errors, etc. Be ready to accept criticism. A successful writer learns to listen to critics with a smile. Apply whatever corrections and changes you decide on to make your script better and then you are ready to self publish.
3. Get a website. You can either pay to have one professionally built or you can use one of the free services online that allows you to build a website. The downside is, they will use your site to advertise so I would lean more towards getting one professionally done. I built my own website using Microsoft Front page. You can then purchase a domain name and hosting. I used go-daddy but the options are endless.
4. Sign up for an online payment. You can either use PayPal.com or 2checkout.com or both to process your payments for you. If you live in the US PayPal allows you to make withdrawal to your bank account or check for those who live internationally. 2Checkout will supply you with a debit/credit card from MasterCard.
5. Once you have all this setup, you are ready to upload pages to your website. Create a different page for each play that you write complete with Synopsis and a Small Excerpt from the script.
Those are the five steps to having an online presence as a Christian Playwright. Now you need people to find you. This is where Google and other search engines come in. You can manually submit your website to all these different search engines. You can also use Google Ad words, which is a paid advertising option, to gain more traffic.
There will always be churches and groups seeking for quality Christian Plays especially for Christmas & Easter. Don’t bury your gift as its the custom of some but use it to help spread the gospel.